The Guadalupe Community Center has a rich social history dating back to the early 1930s when Fr. Carmelo Trachese, SJ, identified a need on the Westside of San Antonio. He was a priest at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church as the country experienced the aftermath of the Great Depression and other financial hardships. “El Padrecito”, as he was affectionately known, began distributing free food to the community and advocated for safe and steady housing.
Fast forward to November 27, 1943, when the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word named this location “Charter of Guadalupe Center of San Antonio.” On April 4, 1951, an amended was filed to change the name to “Guadalupe Community Center of San Antonio.”
Throughout the years, particularly in 2013 with the leadership of Catholic Charities’ new Chief Executive Officer, J. Antonio Fernandez, Guadalupe Community Center has evolved physically and internally with vital programs for families in the West Side of San Antonio.
Today, Guadalupe Community Center acts as an independent organization yet operates under Catholic Charities. The center has gone through over 80 years of transformation but always has delivered the same mission to provide compassionate services with dignity. It has established itself as a vital contributor to the well-being of West Side families and consistently provides services that enhance the culture, health, quality of life and progress of individuals and families in the community. The history of the center is extensive in catering to the diverse needs of families including tutoring, medical care, emergency assistance, dance classes and many other social services, youth services and adult enrichment.
Catholic Charities has an altruistic mission and does not deny services to anyone. Guadalupe Community Center is the hands and feet of the Virgin de Guadalupe, our programs assist the community to thrive.